Wednesday, May 2, 2007

What does it mean to be aUnited fan?

Tonight is the big one. Liverpool have booked their place in the final now we MUST do the same. We are the best team in England and indeed in Europe and WE deserve to be at that final just as much as our biggest rivals. Milan is a difficult place to go, but we should believe… we must believe that this season it is our destiny!

We talk a lot about 99’ when we get to this point of the season and it got me thinking, I would like to know what it means to all the readers what it means to be a Manchester United fan. I was sat watching the game last night and yes it was tense, but for me, it just doesn’t come close to watching Manchester United. Tonight I will be singing, chanting, cheering and hopefully not crying. These are the games that shape any fan’s experiences of being a fan, so instead of talking line-ups and formations today, I would invite you all to tell me what it means to be a red and some of your fondest memories of being a fan?

I’ll kick things off! I’m sure a number of you will say that your fondest memory was winning the European cup and I am no different. I remember sitting on the sofa at the time, (I couldn’t make it over to Barcelona unfortunately) we were 1-0 down and weren’t playing particularly well. My heart was breaking inside. We were losing to the German’s, something I had already experienced a couple of times in international football. The boys were tired with no apparent way back into the game.

Then came those commentators words, “United must score.. They always score”. Ferguson had just hauled of our two strikers, Yorke and Cole and replaced them with Ole and Sheringham. It was the last minute, all was over. Then it came… a goal from nowhere and we were staring extra time in the face. I was jumping around the living room and right there and then I knew, this was a team that believed in themselves so much, that they could win this! With adrenaline pumping through my veins from the first goal I sat back with a huge grin on my face.

Then came the second! I knew at that point that these boys would go down in history. We had won the Champion’s league from the clutches of defeat, and it was against the Germans. I look back on that day now and think to myself. That was the pinnacle. You don’t get much better than that as a fan.

The next few years was a steady decline. For most fans that would be enough to last a life time. But not Man Utd fans. We are back bigger and arguably better than before. We can challenge and we can win, I think our players know that! So this morning, let me know what is your fondest memory of being a Man Utd fan and why?

I’m just gonna put this video in again because I love it. You may have already seen it, but to be honest I don’t care. COME ON YOU REDS.. UNITED FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ptp